Monday, February 23, 2015

Moving Day

They say tonight may very well be the coldest night in, like, a long time. Negative 11 will be the low. Not the wind chill, not what it "feels like," but actually, literally, legitimately, eleven. Degrees. Below....zero.

And what an appropriate night for this frozen absurdity.

A shot of Irish whiskey, Clontarff, for my last night living here in this luxury apartment in Westville Village. I've been here since October 2013. Wow. Time indeed does fly.

I signed an extra long lease to get an extra sweet deal on this spacious two bedroom two full bathroom 20 foot ceiling top floor nothing included parking costs penthouse. I was a different person back on that warm Autumn day when I signed up for it.

It was a steal, and let me just tell you, I've had many memories here, all of which amazing. Many things have changed since, and all for the better.

When I was much younger, I used to tell my father, after a fun birthday party, or a sleepover at a friend's, or a boy scout camping trip, that "I'm gonna miss this day, dad."

It would take me awhile, years even, to finally realize that there is no point in missing any day, because many even better days await.

I'm moving to a different neighborhood tomorrow. Two miles away. I told myself I'd never leave Westville. But yes Delaney's burned down and still ceases to exist. Yes I'm saying a bar determined where I prefer to live, yes I'm comfortable admitting that, but no, I'm not gonna sit around and wait for a place I had many great memories at to be once again erected. If it even does come back, well, it won't ever be the same.

And I'm cool with that. It is, to me, the past.

All that ever matters is, The Now.

My last night here in Westville Village is bittersweet.

But I'm looking forward to new memories, for far greater days are ahead.

Oh, and the $500 I'll be saving in monthly rent is pretty awesome too.

Slainte.

No comments:

Post a Comment